Friday, March 2, 2012

Magnum Ice Cream indulgence is in town!

I was about to start this post with a description of the ice cream being launched but last night, as I was typing away, my older son came into the room. He saw the press kit beside me with an M logo on the front and he immediately exclaimed, “Hey, Magnum!” That was when I remembered why this brand of ice cream sounded familiar.

Two years ago. My son and some of his schoolmates had just come home from several weeks in China on a school-sponsored overseas program. Over the next few days, as he continued regaling us with stories of their adventures, one thing stood out. He and his friends had discovered a favorite comfort food during those days away from family and school – Magnum Ice Cream.

Of course, it was natural for me to be excited when the recent event I was invited to turned out to be the launch of this very brand in the Philippines!






The newly launched Magnum Ice Cream is a smooth and creamy ice cream bar coated with a thick layer of Belgian chocolate. It comes in 3 variants - Classic, Almond and Truffle. Belgian chocolate is one of the best worldwide. All other chocolates are usually measured against this gourmet standard. When you hear of a Belgian chocolatier, you know that person adheres to traditional techniques and uses the best quality ingredients. Most expensive and luxurious chocolates in the market use Belgian chocolate.

What is an ice cream launch without a taste test? Of course, everyone got a chance to try out all the Magnum Ice Cream variants. I did not have room in my tummy for them all so I just chose Almond.

Here we go...

Lots of almonds! Yum, yum, yum...

You can tell when an ice cream bar's chocolate layer is well made. When you bite into it, the chocolate covering does not crumble all over, dripping you with chocolate and vanilla goo all over. Instead, you hear what they call the signature crack. A piece of Belgian chocolate enters your mouth first, followed by a smooth and creamy vanilla ice cream filling. That's exactly how I describe my first Magnum experience.

Maybe you're thinking that because it has Belgian chocolate, it is expensive. Surprise, surprise. Each ice cream bar will only cost PhP 50! And it will be distributed in supermarkets and retail stores, including 7-Eleven.

The 3 Magnum variants being introduced

Magnum Ice Cream is a collaborative effort between Unilever (Magnum is its biggest global brand) and RFM, the company behind the Selecta ice cream brand. RFM and Unilever said that they really worked hard to make this brand available to everyone at an affordable price. I found out that it’s very popular in European and Asian countries where it has a presence. Known Hollywood celebrities have endorsed it such as Eva Longoria, Eva Mendes, Ivanka Trump and Rachel Bilson. At the launch, we were introduced to Magnum’s local brand ambassadors that include Liz Uy, Solenn Heusaff (endorser), Rajo Laurel, Tessa Prieto-Valdes, Erwan Heusaff and Raymond Gutierrez.

Some of Magnum's brand ambassadors

My son and his friends will probably be some of the happiest boys now that their favorite comfort food in China is available locally. And those of you have have tried Magnum during your trips abroad can now have it any time you want without having to go out of the country.

As for me, I am looking forward this weekend to trying the Classic and Truffle variants in my freezer before deciding which one is my favorite flavor.


6 comments:

Jackie Go said...

Mommy Jane! I'm salivating as you describe your Magnum experience! Just like you I love sweets particularly chocolate so I really have to get my hands on one. Maybe on our way to the beach tomorrow I'll drop by 711 to experience it myself! Yum :g

Jane said...

Go, go, go, Jackie! Tell me which one is your favorite. :-)

i♥pinkc00kies said...

I tried the almond variant and its just so good! Im craving again. :))

Jane said...

I hope you're not on a diet... :-)

Lady Prism Living said...

I don't believe I've come across "Magnum Ice Cream" before - not really an ice cream gal' but will most likely try, haha!

Anyway, I was searching for "Benjamin Button" quotes and happened to click on an older blog you have. I simply followed the link to your current blog and found you here. It's been really fun reading your site! Thank you!


The Lady Prism

Anonymous said...

I tried the plain one first and after that I tried all the flavors na and I cant stop! Ang sarap super! Almost everyday na ako bumubili kasi may store sa tabi namin na may Magnum. Yum =)

Google+